The free-to-play play-to-earn platform bringing retro into the future
Voxie Tactics has kicked off 2023 with a bang. But the Polygon-based game has been around since 2021 and is unusual in offering players the chance to play and earn without needing to pay anything up front. Since the turn of the year, they’ve been moving quickly along their roadmap and knocking off milestones on the way.
- What is Voxie Tactics?
- How to get started in the game
- How to play and win Voxie Tactics
- What makes Voxie Tactics innovative?
- The Voxie NFTs
- NFTs as enhancements
- VOXEL token
- What’s on the Voxie Tactics roadmap?
- Useful Links
With their Season 0 playtest tournaments, players started to get a glimpse of what Voxie Tactics will look like when the full game launches. Now the platform is in its beta phase with the Voxie Tactics PvP Open Pre-Season. So it’s the perfect time to learn what the game is and how you can play.
What is Voxie Tactics?
Voxie Tactics combines classic tactics game elements from the 1990s and early 2000s with modern updates, creating a retro-style tactical RPG. The game features two main gameplay modes:
There are also various RPG mechanics. The gaming experience has nostalgic elements, but it’s definitely a modern offering with plenty for Web3 gamers to enjoy. Unlike many games built with blockchain features, this one is completely free-to-play but you can still earn crypto.
No token or digital asset purchases are necessary. But playing with a paid-for NFT does enhance the experience.
How to get started in the game
Here are the steps to begin playing:
- Obtain a MetaMask wallet. This is necessary to connect to Voxie Tactics, hold your in-game currency and claim your NFT rewards earned during play.
- Install the game on your PC. The game requires Windows 10 and a screen resolution of 1080p or higher. A Mac version is expected to be available at some point in 2023.
- Start playing. Players have the choice to either use the free default characters provided in the game or purchase Voxies on NFT marketplaces like OpenSea to participate in battles, explore territories, and complete quests for the chance to earn crypto and NFT rewards.
- Acquire VOXEL tokens and NFT rewards. The in-game VOXEL tokens can be used to upgrade characters and improve their chances of successfully completing missions, leading to the acquisition of more crypto. NFT assets collected can be sold, traded, or loaned in the game marketplace for VOXEL tokens, which can then be exchanged on platforms like Uniswap for other cryptocurrencies or fiat.
How to play and win Voxie Tactics
In Exploration mode, players will embark on a story-driven journey through the world of Voxie Tactics and encounter various adventuring experiences as they uncover the backstory and explore its vibrant world.
The game offers many hidden surprises to discover as players progress and offers multiple ways to approach challenges they encounter. Battles against computer-controlled monsters and villains in this mode will earn players VOXEL tokens and NFT item rewards.
Traversing multiple locations and playing through questlines, players will explore diverse biomes, face monsters, and interact with non-playing characters.
In Voxie Tactics, battles are conducted in a turn-based manner, with each character taking turns to move and act. The turn order is determined by the characters’ stats and other game factors. To succeed in battle, it’s crucial to understand the flow of combat and the phases for each turn.
During a character’s turn, they have three possible actions:
- Move – allows characters to move around the battle map for strategic positioning.
- Action – typically an attack, special ability, or spell, but can also include defending or other unique abilities.
- Equip – lets a character switch their equipment in the middle of battle, but using this action will forfeit their ability to attack in the same turn.
Voxie Tactics allows players to level up their characters, similar to a traditional role-playing game. As players progress through the game, they will experience a sense of accomplishment and improvement for their Voxies.
During gameplay and battles, Voxie characters earn experience by successfully completing actions like attacking and casting spells. Once they reach a specific level of experience, the characters will advance to the next level.
Crystal Shards in the game exist as virtual commodities and have the same rarity as the weapon or item destroyed to create it. Players need to collect enough crystal shards to combine for a crystal, which can then be used for crafting.
To craft a new weapon with a fire elemental attack, for example, a player needs a Cutlass Sword weapon, an Ember Stone elemental item, and a crafting crystal.
They can then visit the in-game blacksmith or use the marketplace to combine these items and mint a new cutlass weapon NFT with a fire elemental attack.
What makes Voxie Tactics innovative?
The Voxie NFTs
The Voxie NFT project features 10,000 unique genesis Voxie characters with 20 different classes, 10 races, 20 Companion types, and various physical attributes and weapons. Each Voxie in the NFT series is one-of-a-kind.
Owning a player-owned Voxie enhances the playing and earning experience in the following ways:
- Higher rate of in-game rewards, such as NFT items and VOXEL tokens, through improved random number generation in Exploration mode.
- Access to specific weapons and items that come with the NFT token.
- Some Voxies in the NFT series come with a companion pet, eliminating the need to find one in the game.
- Exclusive access to rarer Voxie NFT classes and races.
- The original 10,000 Voxie NFTs will be the only ones capable of creating a new generation of Voxie NFTs.
NFTs as enhancements
Unlike most Web3 games, players do not require an in-game NFT to start playing and earning in Voxie Tactics. The Voxie NFTs being enhancements for the game is an innovation in blockchain gaming; most platforms want people to pay up front for in-game assets.
Voxie Tactics method for allowing players to join in without needing an NFT is a great way to attract non-Web3-native people to the game. It makes the jump to using blockchain-based platforms less scary for anyone who might be apprehensive.
VOXEL Tokens are a cryptocurrency built to the ERC-20 standard. Players can earn VOXEL by playing various game modes in Voxie Tactics. These tokens can be redeemed for in-game items such as weapons, armor, and consumables in the Voxie Tactics marketplace.
Players can also craft items with their tokens and consumables, and use VOXEL to pay entry fees for PvP arenas in the game.
What’s on the Voxie Tactics roadmap?
Voxie Tactics is having a busy start to the year. The PvP Open Beta Pre-season started on 31 January. The Season 0 playtest ended on 20 January, which was the first ever PvP-ranked seasonal tournament. The Voxie team also airdropped 50,000 VOXEL tokens to players who participated in those playtests.
Voxie Tactics also published this roadmap in November 2022, showing what they achieved last year and what they have planned for 2023.
Carry your Web3 journey with you
With the DappRadar mobile app, never miss out on Web3 again. See the performance of the most popular dapps, and keep an eye on the NFTs in your portfolio. Your DappRadar account syncs with our mobile app, giving you soon the option to receive alerts live as they happen.