Virtual world-building, decentralized governance, and a brand new content reveal
On September 2nd, DappRadar sat down with Michael Wagner from Star Atlas and discussed everything from Metaverse-creation to mobile gaming. The game’s CEO also gave us his thoughts on how Web3 technology could herald a new era in real-life human governance.
2022 has been a good year for Star Atlas. Buzz has been building around the AAA-gaming platform, which has visions of a decentralized community controlling their huge and interactive virtual world.
The team clearly wants to be more than just a game. Their goal is to become a corner of the Metaverse with its own complex economy and political system. Listen below to the Star Atlas AMA to find out more.
Do you see a situation where the community can build their own mods on top of the Star Atlas platform?
…so it mights sound like kind of a non answer but I think in my personal opinion it is virtually limitless in terms of opportunity. We are presently fairly protective over the idea of something like user generated content, for example, simply because we do hold ourselves to very high standards of development.
Now thinking externally, there’s absolutely nothing we can or would do to defend against somebody that wants to build a game environment that utilizes Star Atlas ships or characters or lore naming or IP…Michael Wagner, Star Atlas CEO
How far along are you with mobile gaming for Star Atlas?
…I would say anything to do with pixel streaming in the future to mobile devices will be more reliant on us.
Actually having the core gameplay functionality out in Unreal Engine first, so it could be a couple of years on that one. Our approach to development is one that is sort of co-creation but also iterative from a release standpoint.
The conventional model of game development is to wait until you have a fully polished product and you release that product when it’s fully interactive. Our approach is quite a bit different in that we essentially build modules of the game as we say and we release that with the greatest frequency that we can…Michael Wagner
How do you see the role of the Metaverse in the future of the internet and humanity?
…do you need to be a citizen of any particular geographic location or any particular country? Not necessarily. And as we kind of eliminate the concept of, you know, working locally within borders, it actually creates this opportunity for the individual to select that locale, which actually provides them with the best benefit. And that might mean the lowest tax regime, or it might just mean the best public services that are actually available to that individual…Michael Wagner
- 00:00 – Intro
- 02:30 – Michael’s background and introduction to the crypto world.
- 06:30 – What was the pivotal moment that inspired you to join the gaming space?
- 11:30 – A parallel between Star Atlas and Solana.
- 21:30 – What exists and what can be created in Star Atlas?
- 31:00 – Pixel streaming & VR in Star Atlas.
- 33:00 – Star Atlas mobile experience, cross-play, or one seamless experience.
- 38:00 – Star Atlas’s position on governance & community.
- 47:00 – Is the Metaverse the future of the human race?
- 55:50 – Sneak peek at exclusive Star Atlas content.
- 57:00 – What are the main hurdles for financial institutions and countries to adopt crypto?
- 1:04:00 – What does Star Atlas look like in 10 or 100 years?
- 1:08:46 – Will we be able to see Star Atlas tokens on any major exchanges any time soon?
- 1:15:00 – Final thoughts from Michael Wagner.