No NFT is safe from the onslaught of tomato soup!
Climate protesters recent splatting of Vincent van Gogh’s ´Sunflowers´with canned tomato soup sparked Splat, an NFT collection allowing holders to cover any NFT with digital soup. The mint price was 0.05 ETH, and now the floor is already 0.45 ETH. Is this the next frontier for NFT fun? Let´s uncover the story behind the data.
- Splat is a collection of 1,000 soup can NFTs on the Ethereum blockchain.
- It takes inspiration from the incident where two climate activists emptied tomato soup cans on Vincent van Gogh´s post-impressionist art piece ´Sunflowers´
- By utilizing the Splat contract, holders can input the NFT contract address and NFT token ID of the NFT they want to soup.
- The Splat contract extracts the image data of the selected NFT direct from that collection’s contract and covers that NFT with digital soup.
What is Splat?
Splat is an interesting and fun collection of 1,000 soup can NFTs created by Devotion on the Ethereum blockchain in partnership with New-York based artist Danny Cole.
The innovative concept was inspired by the recent action of two climate activists who threw soup on Vincent van Gogh´s ´Sunflowers´ to protest against fossil fuels.
In the past 24 hours since minting, the collection has already accumulated a volume of $885,02k from a total sales count of 1,575.
This is their first collection as an NFT project seeking to improve UX, open-source novel code, and melt ideas exploring the countless possibilities in the NFT space. The delicious soup has all the right ingredients: culture, tech, and urgency all into one spicy bowl!
Devotion is founded by journalist, NFT influencer, and artist Andrew Wang, together with sighduck and Backseats. You can think of Devotion as a creative factory, reminiscent of Andy Warhol´s iconic New York studio but in a digital world where “art changes and art changes you”.
Why the hype and how does it work?
The idea behind the collection and the tech are brilliant. It captures the essence of a timely real-world rebellious event and allows us to make it our own in an imaginary setting without limits for self-expression.
It is bold and playful at the same time, and the best part is that you don´t even have to own the NFTs that you soup, creating your own splattered versions. Here is how it works:
- NFT holders can soup via the Splat contract allowing them to input the NFT contract address and NFT token ID of the NFT they want to soup.
- The Splat contract extracts the image data of the selected NFT directly from that collection´s contract and covers it with digital soup.
Not sure what to splat? Use our NFT Explorer
You can splat any NFT and create your own splattered version. Moreover, soup can metadata transforms into splat NFT with the total supply locked at 1,000 without any time window according to Andrew Wang.
We can´t wait to see which NFT collections will be the most splatted by holders, so use our NFT Explorer to navigate the most popular NFT collections for inspiration.
Carry your Web3 journey with you
With the DappRadar mobile app, never miss out on Web3 again. See the performance of the most popular dapps, and keep an eye on the NFTs in your portfolio. Your account on DappRadar syncs with our mobile app, giving you soon the option to receive alerts live as they happen.