Another artwork by the digitally native artist also made it into the top 10
The London-based anonymous artist XCOPY has seen more digital artworks sell for millions of dollars on the secondary market. A Coin for the Ferryman, originally sold for 0.5 ETH roughly three years ago, now switched wallets for 1330 ETH or $6.02 million.
Over the past months, artworks made by XCOPY have become valuable assets in the NFT space. The London-based artist was among the first to publish digital artworks as NFTs on SuperRare, and his artworks are now selling for thousands of dollars. It’s important to note that XCOPY receives a commission on every sale on the secondary market, which is one of the benefits of blockchain technology and NFTs.
Last Selfie, another artwork by the same anonymous artist, sold for 165 ETH last week, which is more than $777.000. Despite the incredible high prices, there are still cheaper artworks available on the market. Afterburn, which originally sold as a timed NFT drop on Nifty Gateway, can be acquired for 6.59 ETH or more than $31.000. One of his artworks, The Guzzler, was on display at Times Square last week during the NFTNYC event.
Before sunset in Vietnam
With two entries for XCOPY and 7 CryptoPunks in the top 10, the list hardly provides anything interesting. However, in second place we see Before Sunset in Vietnam, a photograph sold through OpenSea’s shared storefront. This NFT sold for $1 million in USDC tokens. After that the buying wallet transferred the NFT back to the seller, and the seller listed it for $1000.
This can only be described as either washtrading, faking interest in the NFT or creating a buzz. Last week we saw something similar, when a CryptoPunk owner borrowed $500 million to buy their own punk and then repaid the loan. As a result their punk made headlines, got people talking, and perhaps actually increased in value.
Top 10 NFT Sales – November 1st – 7th, 2021
- A Coin for the Ferryman, by XCOPY – $6.02 million / 1330 ETH – Buyer’s wallet
- Before sunset in Vietnam – $1 million / $1 million USDC – Buyer’s wallet
- CryptoPunk #3468 – $948.000 / 200 ETH – Buyer’s wallet
- CryptoPunk #8299 – $909.110 / 199 ETH – Buyer’s wallet
- CryptoPunk #9943 – $837.090 / 185 ETH – Buyer’s wallet
- CryptoPunk #2548 – $814.210 / 180 ETH – Buyer’s wallet
- Last Selfie, by XCOPY – $777.450 / 165 ETH – Buyer’s wallet
- CryptoPunk #8930 – $776.890 / 175 ETH – Buyer’s wallet
- CryptoPunk #7088 – $673.770 / 155 ETH – Buyer’s wallet
- CryptoPunk #8473 – $663.300 / 140 ETH – Buyer’s wallet